Friday, April 9, 2010

Five things that get in the way of kites

  1. Work: I'm a reporter. That means I work long hours, cover some night and weekend events and bring work home. Freelance Web design assignments pile up at home.
  2. Buying a house: Driving neighborhoods, reading sellers disclosures and sifting through online listings eat up time. Getting outbid depresses. Maybe I should just squat in Zilker Park.
  3. The Internet: Why must you have such a compelling, useless and time-sucking hold over my free time?
  4. TV: Not any more. I gave up cable last year and, not only am I saving money, I have plenty more time for No. 5. I do still occasionally watch a few shows online and DVDs from Blockbuster.
  5. Reading: Curse you Bernard Cornwell for writing the Sharpe series!
The number one thing that will help me cast all those things aside:


April 10 | Devine Lake Kite Festival
Flying demonstrations, kite making, music and concessions
Devine Lake Park, 1000 Maple Creek, Leander • 10 a.m.–2 p.m. • Free • 528-9909 • www.leandertx.org

I'm traveling much lighter to Devine Lake than I did for Zilker Park. I've packed three kites: Yatko 3, Phoenix and my stunt kite. Never made time to finish making a suruga. Tons of materials, but so little time.

No comments: