Sunday, March 7, 2010

Build: Semi rigid double foil sled

Last night, between drinking a few beers to prepare for a night out and waiting for Denise to get ready, I built most of a semi rigid double foil sled, which measures nearly six feet wide by about three feet tall. It's the largest kite I've made.

I used three eighth-inch dowels, a sheet of drop cloth and some packing tape. I would like to buy some brass eyelets for the bridle fins, but a a few layers of tape should work.

This thing is really quick and easy to make. Probably the most interesting to me about the build was the fact that I could take drop off material to make the central bridle fin--it matched perfectly.

I also found that the drop cloth was the perfect width. All I had to do was measure, mark and trim out four triangles and four circles.

All that's left is to attach the bridle and see how she flies.

No comments: