Sunday, August 2, 2009

Build: Tissue and dowels make a stable diamond

It took me about 20 minutes to make this kite: tissue paper, two hobby dowels, packing tape and dental floss for the bridle. Strips of plastic produce bags made for a light-weight trio of tails.

Winds blew at about 10-15 mph with the occasional strong gust.

I fixed the bridle at the wrong angle, which made the kite wobble uncontrollably. The face of the kite hit the wind head on at maybe a 80 degree angle. That tore the tissue along the spar. Easy fix with packing tape.

After I pulled the kite down and adjusted the bridle to give the face a shallower angle, the kite flew well. It was very stable and shot into the sky faster than I could believe.

It unwound my entire spool. Maximum height: 60 meters or 198 feet!





No comments: