Sunday, April 9, 2023

Basket 19: striped produce basket

 Basket 19: striped produce basket with 2-behind-4 border; buff willow and Old French willow


I learned a new top border called a 2-behind-4 border. It tuned out quite nice! I also used two different kinds of willow in the French randing walls, using alternating colors in the 24-rod array to make a striped pattern. It's subtle with these two colors, but striking nonetheless. And this time I didn't forget the waling.

This close up of the top border shows the 2-behind-4 pattern.


One mistake I made on the base was trimming the six slath willows too short. To compensate, I added gaps when I pricked up the uprights in hopes of making the base just a tiny bit larger. 


The base turned out solid with no wobbles and the striped pattern looks cool as it radiates out from the center. I used only buff willow on the first two rounds of the slath in hopes of accenting the radiating pattern. 



The striped pattern is made by alternating different colors of willow while building the French randing wall. Twenty-four weavers are used in French randing, so in this case, I used 12 buff and 12 Old French rods. 




No comments: