Friday, June 3, 2022

Willow stock replenished

 Earlier this week, I received my second order of willow from Bonnie Gale of English Basketry Willows in Norwich, NY. I'm so excited for my next basketry project, but I'm not sure what it will be yet. I'm making one final basket from material I already had because it's been more than a year since I last made a basket.

Beautiful colors and a lovely smell. From left, brown, old French, buff, white, and steamed willow.


This time I ordered about twice as much dried willow as my first order in June 2020. I've made a total of 14 baskets since I started learning basketry on April 12, 2020, but I constructed the first seven baskets from material I harvested. 

I haven't made a basket since January 2021. While I'm nearly out of the material I foraged when I lived in Northeast Washington, I've now got loads of high quality willow to work with.

This is what 12 pounds of willow looks like, more than a thousand rods to make maybe another 14 baskets. It's exciting, but also a little scary because I don't want to waste any material. Not only is it expensive, but shipping has gone through the roof! 

I need to find a local place to harvest willow myself. 

In addition to the material I had previously ordered -- steamed brown and buff willow -- I also ordered brown willow, white willow, black maul, and old French. Most are in 3-foot lengths, but I also got some 4 footers. This gives me many options for a variety of projects.



Might seem silly, but I'm saving this little note from Bonnie Gale -- I'm kinda star struck with her.



This is the remaining material I had before my latest order came in. From left, the last of steamed brown willow and buff willow I ordered from Bonnie Gale in 2020; an assortment of rods, mostly nine bark and gooseberry; bundles of red osier dogwood


No comments: